While many people are focused on joining the Google +1 service, they are not necessarily focusing on the +1 button itself. To me the button is one of the most valuable aspects of the service.
The +1 button, as I have already explained, allows people to recommend your site to others. Imagine others searching the Web, finding your site, and seeing the +1 logo with the number 15 or 20 next to it. This means 15 or 20 people have taken the time to note that they value your site.
As noted in a previous post, this is what the +1 looks like when someone searches Google. The blue arrow is an unactivated +1 button. The green arrow is an activated button.
I recommend that everyone add the +1 button to sites immediately to give visitors an opportunity to recommend their sites right from the site.
Add +1 to your Website
Here is how you do it.
- Go to this link http://www.google.com/webmasters/+1/button/
- You will find the necessary code written by Google.
- Place the code (or have your Webmaster place the code) in the appropriate location on your site.
Add +1 to your Blog
If you have a WordPress blog and you want to add +1 as I have done below my posts, there are a couple of plugins that will do the job for you.
- Simply go to plugins and click on add new.
- Do a search for +1 or plus 1.
- Look for plugins with the highest rating, no lower than 4 or 5 stars.
- Install the plugin and activate it.
The steps should be similar for other blogs.
Provide a follow me button for +1
If you have been fortunate enough to get a +1 invite you can provide the opportunity for people to follow you as I have done on the left side of my blog.
- Find an icon for +1 that you like.
- Watch copyright. I took an approved logo right from Google.
- Upload it
- Put in the correct html code
- Here’s the code
<a href=”https://plus.google.com/YOURPROFILENUMBER” target=”_blank”> <img src=”http://LOCATIONOFPLUSONEICON.jpg” alt=”” width=”33″ height=”35″</a>
Do me a favor, don’t link to my +1 button. That would be stealing my bandwidth which is uncool. Please get your own.