Waiving Into NY From California

Question: Is there a way to waive into NY Bar membership if one is already a member of the CA Bar, and forego sitting for the bar exam?

Most states only allow admission by waiver from states that offer reciprocity. California offers reciprocity with no other state, therefore other states are not particularly friendly to waiver by California attorneys. You can always call New York, but most likely they will just refer you to the link below, which does not show California as a reciprocal state.


Some people use a roundabout way to get admitted. They waive into a state that allows waiver from California and is reciprocal with New York. Then, after the minimum time has elapsed, they waive into New York.

Subscribe to This Blog