Can I Move When I Have Custody of My Kids?

Question: If I have physical and legal custody of my kids, do I need permission from the other parent to travel outside the state or even country on vacation?

Answer: Probably. It really depends on the state and the custody agreement. You really would need to ask an attorney in your state, or check with the court if your custody agreement doesn’t address the issue. Generally speaking, if you have joint custody, you need permission. Especially for any lengthy time period. It is rare to be able to move any distance if the other parent objects and you cannot show it is in the best interests of the children.

Subscribe to This Blog